News

Lusmagh woman in Barcelona says city remains in shock after attack

Thursday, 24 August 2017

AN OFFALY woman, living in Barcelona says people are "still in shock" after last week's devastating terror attacks, which has left the city with an "underlying fear".


The Tribune was in touch with Clare Keenaghan, from Lusmagh, this week to ask her what the city has been like since a van, driven into crowds, killed 13 people and injured over 100 others in the tourist filled area, Las Ramblas on Thursday, August 17 last.

In a second incident in the coastal town of Cambrilis, officers shot dead five men wearing fake bomb belts after they drove through a road block into a crowd of people.


According to Clare the whole city is "still in shock about what happened and everyone is very attentive to news of arrests and following the police operations.

"A lot of people are avoiding going to busy areas such as tourist hot spots and shopping centres etc. There's an underlying feeling of fear around the city."

Clare's neighbourhood is about twenty minutes from the attack site and she says it's "eerily quiet" during the day and even more so at night.


"The bar I work in was closed following the attack and I have noticed a drop in business after the events. People are trying to get back to normal as much as possible, going to work etc."


Clare herself found out about the attack about ten minutes after it happened when her mum rang from Ireland telling her that she had seen it on Sky News.

The Lusmagh native said that after the news broke she was in her house where everyone was "just glued to the TV in shock, trying to get hold of all our friends and making sure they were all safe." Since then, Clare says there has been a "reaction of defiance around the city by locals and a 'no tenim por' can be seen around the city and in its tributes".

"This means we are not afraid in Catalán. At the site of the van attack flowers, teddys and messages of condolences fill the route that the van took."

Meanwhile, it's just been reported, at the time of writing, that Spanish police have shot dead one of the Barcelona attackers near the city after a four-day man hunt.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete