Thurles reign supreme while Roscrea and Toomevara must meet again

Thursday, 12 October 2017

Thurles reign supreme while Roscrea and Toomevara must meet again thumbnailThe look on the face of Roscrea’s Darren Delaney tells its own story of pure determination as the fight back commenced and he leaves behind the challenge of Toomevara’s Colm Canning in the drawn Seamus O Riain Cup Final at Semple Stadium, Thurles

THURLES Sarsfields completed a four in a row Tipperary Senior hurling titles when they comprehensively defeated Borris-Ileigh by 1-24 to 0-11 in the county final played at Semple Stadium on Sunday last.
The curtain raiser on the day finished in a welter of excitement as Roscrea battled back from six points down to earn a draw with Toomevara, 1-12 each, in the Seamus O Riain Cup Final.
Indeed it was a weekend to remember for Roscrea as on Saturday the club's minor side ended a 33 year wait for a county minor title when they defeated Moycarkey Borris by 3-12 to 0-14 in the final for a well merited victory.
They looked to be out of it on Sunday when Toomevara went 1-12 to 0-9 up in the second half but Roscrea kept battling and a goal from a penalty by Daryl Ryan gave them renewed hope and they lifted their game. Davin Flynn and Sam Cnlon narrowed the gap to one and in injury time Conor Sheedy fired over the equaliser to send the game to a replay.
In the senior final Thurles Sarsfield emphasised their dominance of Tipperary hurling with a commanding display. They took control early on when eight points in a row put them 0-9 to 0-2 in front. However Borris-Ileigh finished the half well and cut the gap back to four at the break, 0-11 to 0-7 and they were still in with a chance.
However Thurles reasserted themselves after the break and when Conor Stakelum scored the game's only goal in the 45th minute, it put them 1-17 to 0-9 in front and there was only going to be one winner from there.
Thurles manager Paddy McCormack naturally was delighted with his side's success. "We are delighted. It was probably our best performance of the year, we were struggling a few times, Upperchurch put us to the pin of our collar, Kilruane could have taken us out, we weren't impressive the last day against Eire Og Annacarty but today from start to finish we were on top and pushed on.
“Naturally we'll smell the flowers and the bloom. This was nice to win, county finals are hard to win and we'll enjoy this one.
Borris-Ileigh centre back Brendan Maher acknowledged the strength of the Thurles team.
"We thought we were defending well in the first half but we couldn't seem to get anything out of it going forward. We hit a lot of ball down but they stopped our threats. We only had two points after 17 or 18 minutes - we managed to get a run going before half time. We said we'd go out give it a go in the second half but look they aren't a four in a row team by chance," said Maher.
See reports on the big games on pages 69, 70 and 71 and after match reaction from the senior final on page 50.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete