News

Roscrea CCTV campaign progressing

Thursday, 2 November 2017

HOPES of installing a Garda CCTV system in Roscrea are closer to being realised this week after the Committee behind the project revealed they almost have the required funds.

Only €1,000 of fundraising now stands in the way to reach the required figure to be raised by the community for the modern camera system, which is designed to record traffic entering the town and activity at busy locations in the town centre.

There will be 28 cameras in the system, which will feed back wirelessly to Roscrea Garda Station and which will record footage that can be used as evidence in court, or to assist in investigating crime.

Earlier this year the Department of Justice announced a scheme where 60% of the costs will be covered, leaving the remaining 40% of the €25,000-€30,000 required to pay for the CCTV system to be paid for by the community and local authority.

The local community needs to raise only five percent of the total figure, which amounts to €3,500 - €2,500 of which has already been raised by donations from local businesses in the last few weeks.

Over 70 local groups and businesses in Roscrea were contacted about the campaign and three local groups have already donated €2,500.

Derek Russell, Chairman of Roscrea Stands Up is involved in the project and told the monthly meeting of Roscrea Community Development Council (RCDC) last week it is progressing very well.

Derek explained that although the funds are almost raised, it will be eight to ten months at the earliest before the cameras are erected in the town and that many hurdles must be overcome first.

"All the paperwork and applications must be completed by February and we have discussed it at recent Community Action Partnership (CAP) meetings with Margo Hayes and representatives from the Council present," Mr Russell said.

"In the coming weeks there will be a big drive for funds and we hope the project will get across the line in plenty of time," he said.

The issue of CCTV systems also arose at the monthly meeting of the Municipal Council for the Thurles, Templemore and Roscrea areas last week, where local Thurles SF Councillor, David Doran asked for a problem with the system in Thurles to be repaired.

Currently the Garda camera system in Thurles cannot record footage - an issue which has caused upset among local Councillors for quite some time.

Cllr Doran said that although the cameras are transmitting a live signal to the Garda Station in Thurles, their effectiveness as a Garda crime fighting tool is greatly diminished if the footage cannot be recorded.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete