St Rynagh’s hold on to cup with back to back victories

Thursday, 4 October 2018

St Rynagh’s hold on to cup with back to back victories thumbnailJoint St Rynaghís Captains Trish Nugent and Linda Sullivan are presented with the senior cup by the chairman of the county board Martin Delaney.


St. Rynagh's senior camogie girls completed back to back titleS when they overcame Shinrone for the second successive year, on Sunday last in St Brendan's GAA pitch Birr.
No one can complain as the champions were by far the better team and were well deserved winners too. They had a total of six scorers, Siobhan Flannery grabbing a tally of 0-10 in all, while their opponents had just two. It was without doubt the influence of the full forward who had a fine tussle with Marion Crean who didn't let her have it all her own way, that helped in no small way to inspire Rynagh's to victory. The management team of Albert Kelly, Roy Mannion and Nigel White, had the girls well tuned for the showdown clash. They are a durable, physically fit and above all, skilful set of players, young mixed with the more experienced and that showed dividends on the day. It will take a great team to stop them next year as they have set a very high standard, so all clubs in the county know the level they will have to get up to if they want to win the senior in 2019.
Shinrone who hold eight titles already, and who were under new management this season, are blooding some very young players who have a lot to learn at this grade. They are however going in the right direction. Despite more than double scores defeat which summed up how Shinrone were inferior to their fellow county team, they can take pride in serving up a typically honest performance and never dropped their heads even when St Rynagh's stretched clear in the second half.
A minute's silence was observed before commencement of the game for the late Eamon Pardy, Birr.
Played in ideal but cold conditions, the game started at a fast and furious pace and continued like so throughout.
St Rynagh's Louise Mannion opened the scoring with a pass from Kate Kenny in the 5th minute and playing into a stiff breeze, Kate Kenny added a further point while Siobhan Flannery dropped over a free for the third point three minutes apart. However, St Rynagh's will surely regret not making more of their early dominance after settling so quickly when other chances were spurned, including an effort from Flannery who raced in but heavily marked and falling to the ground she managed to strike the ball straight across the goalmouth but there was no one there to finish her fine effort.
Orla Maher was unfortunate not to have opened the Shinrone account from a '45' but the mighty hard working Michaela Morkan did in the 13th minute. However, Rynagh's came back attacking with all guns blazing and Grainne Dolan followed by Flannery found the target.
Gradually, the gulf in standard between the teams was becoming evident. St Rynagh's had more method to their play as well and when they had established a 0-8 to 0-1 lead after 19 minutes, it was evident that Shinrone efforts were falling far too short for any chance of a comeback.
But the champions didn't get it all their own way and had to work hard for their victory where strong Shinrone defending saw them err nervously on three successive occasions over a seven minute period.
Settling again, Kate Kenny set up player of the match Roisin Egan who drove a long ball straight between the uprights and before the minute was up, Flannery offloaded to Mairead Daly and Rynagh's were on their way to their second title.
Shinrone were really struggling to set up decent scoring opportunities, although their supporters were heartened when Marion Crean set up Grainne Egan who split the posts with two minutes left in the half. Scores were coming far more easily for the champions with Mairead Daly closing the half and Rynagh's were in a comfortable lead 0-11 to 0-2.
Shinrone upped their performance in the last half with Michaela Morkan clawing back from a free. However, Rynagh's answer came quickly and both from Flannery, one from a free.
Morkan added a pointed free and when she dropped another free into the goalmouth, Rynagh's backs stood firm to see off the mayhem. Then brave Shinrone hit a purple patch and fired over three unanswered points, Grainne Egan two and a free from Morkan to leave six points between the sides, 0-13 to 0-7 after 42 minutes.
Rynagh's hit back with two further points, Louise Mannion and Flannery while Grainne Egan kept the Shinrone flag flying. However, the sickener for Shinrone came in the 53rd minute when Kate Kenny gave Fiona McLeish no chance as she slapped home the only goal of the game.
Shinrone to their credit never gave up and Grainne Egan (free) and Siobhan Flannery ('45') traded but there was no chance whatsoever of Shinrone causing any kind of an upset as they could only manage an Michaela Morkan point for the remainder of the game throwing everything into defence as Rynagh's were happy to settle for two further points, both coming from Siobhan Flannery, as they knew they were bring back the cup to Shannonside for another year.
Player of the Match: Roisin Egan (St. Rynagh's).
Scorers: St. Rynagh's: Siobhan Flannery (0-10, 0-4 frees, 0-2 '45's), Kate Kenny (1-3), Mairead Daly, Louise Mannion (0-2 each), Grainne Dolan, Roisin Egan (0-1 each).
Shinrone: Michaela Morkan (0-5, 0-3 frees), Grainne Egan (0-5, 0-1free).
ST RYNAGH'S: Ellen Gilligan, Roisin Daly, Linda Sullivan (J. Captain), Trish Nugent (J. Captain), Ann Daly, Roisin Egan, Elaine Sullivan, Helen Dolan, Louise Mannion, Grainne Dolan, Kate Kenny, Mairead Daly, Aoife McLoughlin, Siobhan Flannery, Louise Flannery. Subs: Aine Doorley (for L. Flannery, 51 mins), Maebh Doorley (for A. McLoughlin, 54 mins), Ellie Hickey (for T. Nugent, 58 mins), Ciara O'Connell (for A. Daly, 59 mins).
SHINRONE: Fiona McLeish, Sarah Cleary, Leona McLeish, Andrea Kieran, Kelly Sammon, Michaela Morkan, Caitlin O'Meara, Kate Bergin, Grainne Egan, Maeve Gleeson, Orla Maher, Sharon Shanahan, Kerry McLeish (Captain), Marion Crean, Eilish Gleeson. Subs: Christine Cleary (for C. O'Meara, 35 mins), Jane Cleary (for L. McLeish, 38 mins), Ciara Sammon (for M. Gleeson, 38 mins), Aine O'Meara (for S. Shanahan, 38 mins).
REFEREE: Shane Guinan (Drumcullen).
Joint St Rynagh's captain Linda Sullivan was couldn't believe St. Rynagh's did the the back to back. "I can't believe we came back again and won another one," she said. Delighted with the players performance throughout the game she revealed that "Shinrone were very good but we put in a huge performance, took our chances and I believe that's what pulled us out in the end," she said.
The hardy full back praised the opposition saying she "was nervous as hell" every time a ball came in and believed the scoreline didn't reflect the work rate. "Shinrone are a young team and they are building all the time and it's great for them to get back to a county final, but again we are building every year and please God we can continue to stay going".
Looking ahead to Leinster clash in two weeks time, Sullivan said the team will knuckle down for the next two weeks and take one step at a time.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete