Sports

St Rynagh’s Football Club Honour Founder Members

Thursday, 8 December 2016

St Rynagh’s Football Club Honour Founder Members thumbnailMembers of the community and family members present at unveiling of the plaque in St Rynagh’s football club grounds in Cloghan. Missing from picture was the Condron family who were unable to attend. MT48894JOC

ST Rynagh's Football club in Cloghan erected a plaque recently commemorating the foundation of Cloghan Gaelic Football Club in 1893. The three founder members were Michael Camon, John Condron and James Ryan. The club was re-named St. Rynagh's football club in 1961.
The event attracted a large crowd to the Cloghan grounds where the plaque was unveiled by the President of St Rynagh's football club Kieran Daly. Chairman Ciaran Grogan welcomed all and was very happy to be acknowledging the original founders of the club. 
The Founders
Michael Camon was a local man, who was born, reared and farmed in Ballysheil just outside Cloghan. He was a very popular man who was much respected in the area and beyond. He retained a deep interest in the club and Offaly affairs throughout his long life. He died in 1948. He is buried in Killourney cemetery not far from his birth place.
John Condron  was from Laois, born and raised in Sheirk, near Rathdowney but spent many years in Offaly and was considered 'more an Offaly man than Offaly men themselves'. He worked in Belmont on the Railway and was a member of Tullamore Urban Council. He later took up a position as a Station Foreman in Tullamore. As a councillor, his ambition was to help the poor, build up his adopted town of Tullamore which he worked hard to do over the half century of his life serving the people. He was involved with Tullamore football club and was always there to encourage teams whether training or playing competitive games. For years he served on the Offaly and Leinster Council and kept a keen interest in the GAA right to the end. He passed away in 1950 at the age of 82.  
Little is known about James Ryan apart from the fact that he was also a local man, born and reared near Michael Camon in Ballysheil in 1833. He was also a farmer of note both in Ballysheil and in Noggus. Like the other two men, he also retained a great interest in the local club and in Offaly affairs throughout his life.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete