Galway Hit Offaly For Six In Comprehensive Victory

Thursday, 16 February 2017

Galway Hit Offaly For Six In Comprehensive Victory thumbnailCompeting for possession were Offaly’s Pat Camon and Paddy Murphy with Galway’s Michael Conneely and Shane Maloney.

A WIN over Galway wouldn't have been expected by even the most hopeful Offaly supporter last Sunday but a 26 point beating certainly was an eye opening result ahead of what look like being a tough league campaign with survival now the over riding priority rather than qualification.

GALWAY ...6-23
OFFALY ...1-12

Galway were rampant but Offaly failed to raise a gallop. Five scores from play over the 70 minutes, with all those coming in the opening 35 minutes, paints its own picture as the Galway juggernaut showed no mercy in piling on the misery.

With Offaly now on the back foot from the off, the game with Laois, who were beaten by Kerry at the weekend, will be what Premiership commentators would call 'a real six pointer in a bid to avoid the drop'.

Offaly hurled with the wind in the opening half but they could only really stay in touch with Galway scoring at will. When they sniffed a goal chance, they took it with inside line duo of Conor Whelan and Jason Flynn grabbing three between them in the opening half.

It was poor from Offaly but clinical from Galway. Offaly certainly can do better and they will need to be improved quickly if they are to turn things around in six days and go over to Portlaoise and get a win.

Galway were dominant all over the field. Jason Flynn amassed 2-10 from full forward before being called ashore with 10 minutes left while St Thomas duo, Conor Cooney and David Burke who were late additions to the starting line up also stood out.

While Offaly can point to being without the likes of Joe Bergin and Shane Kinsella, Galway were in the same boat with Mannion brothers Cathal and Padraig along with Joe Canning all missing.

Galway made their presence felt from the throw in and by the time the clock had reached seven minutes, Jason Flynn had 1-2 to his name and for Galway with Offaly yet to score. Sean Cleary registered Offaly's first point a minute later and from the 12th to the 16th minute, Offaly hit three points on the spin with Sean Ryan, Shane Dooley and Cillian Kiely all helping to bring it back to 1-3 to 0-4.

Galway then struck a hammer blow as Conor Whelan bet Paddy Rigney in a foot race along the end line to fire home. 2-3 to 0-4 became 3-6 to 0-4 on 25 minutes with Flynn helping himself to another 1-2 in quick succession.

To be fair, Offaly came straight back up the field and hit the net themselves through Sean Cleary but even at this early stage, there only looked to be one winner. Points were traded for the remainder of the half with Shane Dooley landing three frees but in first half injury time, David Burke broke through and he rattled Galway's fourth goal of the half to see them leading 4-9 to 1-8 at the break.

Galway now had the aid of the strong breeze blowing into the Arden road end and they continued where they left off. Conor Cooney landed two scores with Flynn adding another as they opened up a 4-12 to 1-10 lead.

Dermot Shortt came on at half time but his afternoon only lasted 10 minutes with two yellow cards ending his day on 45 minutes as Offaly fell into an even deeper hole. The final 20 minutes were a non contest as Conor Whelan grabbed his second goal before substitute Brian Molloy got Galway's sixth goal as they led 6-14 to 1-11.

Galway added nine more points in the closing 15 minutes with Offaly adding a free from Shane Dooley as the final whistle brought an end to a day to forget for Kevin Ryan and his charges.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete